Saturday 30 April 2011

Jodie Foster acts as "good parent" to actors

Jodie Foster has revealed that she sees herself as a parent to the actors she directs.

The actress-turned-director explained that there are similarities between directing a movie cast and raising a child.

She told Psychologies: "I want to be a good parent who loves them unconditionally, even when they come up with bad ideas and even when they suck.

"There is a way of loving their foolish attempts and guiding them in what you think is the right direction.

"And I do think I have a particular sensitivity towards child actors because of my own experiences. As a child I certainly looked for a parent figure in my directors."

Fosters directs and stars in the film The Beaver as the wife of Mel Gibson's character, a man on the edge of madness who will only communicate with his family via a puppet.

Foster hadn't originally planned to play the leading actress but soon realised that she was most suited to the role.

She added: "I had no intention of acting in this movie but I started thinking, 'Who can I put across from Mel, saying she's going to stand by her man and fight for him - and yet go through this juncture when she realises she's put her children in jeopardy, watching their father lose his mind?'

"I was sitting and thinking about what actor is going to do that from a place of strength that doesn't feel fake and then I realised it was me."

No comments:

Post a Comment