Friday 26 November 2010

Pinto not keen on 'mindless' films


Freida Pinto knows exactly what kind of film she doesn't want to make - the "mindless" variety.
The 26-year-old actress, who went from an unknown to in-demand film star after appearing as Latika in Slumdog Millionaire, plays a teacher in a Palestinian refugee camp in her latest film Miral.
She said of her reasons for doing the movie: "I just feel there are so many stories that need to be told and very few films that are doing that.
"So when I get this opportunity to do it (Miral), I think I should embrace it rather than take on something that's mindless and that I won't be satisfied doing.
"I'm not saying commercial films are mindless, but I mean mindless in the sense that they're not going to do anything for me."
Since starring in Slumdog, Freida has shied away from more mainstream films and plumped for the likes of a musicologist in You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger (Woody Allen's latest comedy), Rise Of The Apes and Black Gold, in which she plays Antonio Banderas's Arab princess daughter.
She still makes time to see her boyfriend and Slumdog co-star Dev Patel.
"You have to find a way to see each other and that's where initiative comes into it," she said.
"Dev's so understanding and that's what really matters. I need to do the same, you know, that's how we make it work. And we're so young, we've got so much more to do. We can't stop our work lives because we don't want to be apart."
Miral is directed by Oscar nominee Julian Schnabel and is based on Rula Jebreal's semi-autobiographical novel about the lives of three generations of women in war-torn Jerusalem. It is released in cinemas on Friday, December 3.



No comments:

Post a Comment