Thursday 21 April 2011

J.K. Rowling praises 'Harry Potter' scribe



J.K. Rowling has spoken of her "unique" friendship with Harry Potter screenwriter Steve Kloves.

Writing in Written By, the author of the best-selling series recalled being introduced to Kloves at their first meeting with Warner Bros about creating the film series.

"I was incredibly wary before I met him," Rowling recalled. "He was going to butcher my baby. He was an established screenwriter, which was just plain intimidating. He was also American, and we were meeting shortly after a review of the first Potter book in (I think) the New Yorker, which had stated that it was unlikely the British idiom would translate to an American audience."

However, she admitted that "every qualm" vanished that afternoon as she got to know Kloves, whom she states that she has "complete confidence" in.

"Steve turned to me while food was being ordered and said quietly, 'You know who my favourite character is?' I looked at him, red hair included, and I thought: 'You're going to say Ron. Please, please don't say Ron - Ron's so easy to love'. And he said, 'Hermione'. At which point, under my standoffish, mistrusting exterior, I just melted, because if he got Hermione, he got the books. He also, to a large extent, got me."

The 45-year-old continued: "Inevitably, things had to be cut between novel and film. It never bothered me. Steve's a compassionate surgeon. We couldn't make eight-hour-long films, and I'd rather have had him wielding the scalpel than anyone else.

"It's been an intense relationship, forged under very unusual circumstances. Steve has come closest to being inside the world with me - actually, he has been inside the world with me but always a year or two behind. Nobody else has come close to that. The sheer length of the collaboration has made it unique."

The final instalment of the series, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part Two will open in cinemas on July 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment