Thursday 19 May 2011

Lars von Trier "proud" of Cannes Nazi row ban

Melancholia director Lars von Trier has admitted that he is "a little proud" of being declared a persona non grata by the Cannes Film Festival.
Von Trier was banned from the festival earlier today following his controversial comments that he "sympathised" with Adolf Hitler
.

"What I said was completely stupid but I'm no Mel Gibson," Von Trier told The Hollywood Reporter. "It's a pity if it means I will lose contact with Cannes."

Von Trier insisted that he is in no way anti-Semitic, citing a Jewish stepfather as evidence, but admitted that the idea of being banned does have a slight appeal for him.

"I have to say I'm a little proud of being named a persona non grata, I think my family would be proud!" he continued. "I have a French order. Now they will likely tear it off my chest."

The director, who is not allowed within 100 metres of the Festival, will not attend Sunday's award ceremony and said that he is unsure if his film will also be banned.

"I hope not," he added. "Because even if I was Hitler - and I must state now for the record I am not Hitler - but even if I was Hitler and I made a great film, Cannes should select it."

Watch Lars von Trier's controversial comments below:

No comments:

Post a Comment