Thursday 19 May 2011

Tom Hanks 'intimidated by Julia Roberts'

Tom Hanks has admitted that he was intimidated directing Julia Roberts on the set of the upcoming Larry Crowne.

In an interview with W magazine, Hanks - who wrote, directed and starred in the movie - revealed that he hand-picked Roberts to appear as a university professor who falls in love with his character, a middle-aged student.

"I had some teachers who looked like Julia, I would see them and think, 'I love you'," he teased. "So there was never anyone but Julia. Still, even after she said yes, I was the boss. That meant I got to say, 'You don't wear this dress, you wear that dress'. And Julia's Julia - she can be intimidating."

Also speaking to the magazine, Roberts said that Hanks encouraged her to cut loose while filming a scene that featured heavy drinking.

The actress joked: "Why did Tom Hanks think of me when he thought of a drunken schoolteacher? What does that mean? He has me chugging margaritas. I asked why it couldn't be straight liquor, and he said it was funnier if it was a drink made in a blender."

Larry Crowne is to open on July 1 in the US and the UK.


No comments:

Post a Comment