Sunday 5 June 2011

Stephen Fry cast in 'Borrowers' remake

Stephen Fry has joined the cast of a new adaptation of children's classic The Borrowers.

Fry revealed the existence of the project during an appearance on BBC Radio 5 Live's Simon Mayo and Mark Kermode show on Friday evening, and also confirmed that it will begin production very soon.

"Before [The Hobbit], in fact I go to South Africa. Working Title are doing The Borrowers," Fry said. "I was surprised to get this script because I remember they did The Borrowers not that long ago.

"I thought, 'Oh, that's odd', but I read the script and thought it was delightful and I had a really funny part," he continued. "That starts in a few weeks."

Although Fry refused to clarify any further details about the project, it is believed that former Shameless writer Danny Brocklehurst has penned the film's script.

Later this year, Studio Ghibli will release an English-language version of their own adaptation, called The Borrower Arrietty.

The novel has previously been adapted into both a BBC TV series as well as a 1997 film starring John Goodman and Jim Broadbent.

No comments:

Post a Comment